Oreo Fudge Brownies
Am I the only person that has weird food quirks? You know, the habitual things you find yourself doing with various foods that you may or may not be slightly embarrassed about? As a cooking addict and food enthusiast, I’ve definitely got my fair share. I’ll tell you guys mine, if you tell me yours, deal? Sweet….and guys? Please don’t judge me.
- When I eat meat proteins, I always want some kind of sauce to dip it in on the side. Mostly, my favorite combination is barbecue sauce and honey mustard. Quite a lot of it.
- Ruffles Potato chips dipped in ketchup is one of my oldest and favorite snacks. Don’t knock it til you try it, cause I’m telling you, it’s DELICIOUS!
- I make it a special point to always eat the crust of my pizza first, then the rest of it.
- Whenever I eat a burger and fries I take a bite of the burger, then a bite of fries so that I can ‘meld’ the taste of the two foods together in my mouth.
- When eating french fries, I sub-consciously pick them up in pairs that are relatively the same size. I don’t know why, or even how I do it, but I always just do.
- Whenever I eat dessert, I use a small/dainty fork or spoon rather than a normal size.
- I like my scrambled eggs cooked in sausage grease, to the point where they’re almost rubbery. I can’t STAND soft or runny scrambled eggs. I like mine firm and stained dirty with sausage grease.
- When I eat bread on the side for dinner, I make sure that I eat it in equal, moderated proportion to the amount of meat and veggies on my plate so that I finish them all at about the same time.
- I like potato salad, but other than application, I cannot eat anything else with mayo or miracle whip in it- not sandwiches, not cole slaw, NOTHING. Even if it’s been scraped off a burger if they get my order wrong in a restaurant or drive thru or something, I won’t eat it. Isn’t that weird?
- Similarly, I love pizza, but I don’t eat cheese on my burgers, tacos, sandwiches, or much of anything else that features cheese as a chief ingredient- like mac and cheese or cheese sticks or grilled cheese sandwiches. Pizza is the only way I’ll really eat it.
- When I was younger I used to make sandwiches out of two slices of bread and a stack of crunchy potato chips. That was it- just the bread and chips. And it was delicious. There was just something about the saltiness and crunch of the chips, contrasted with the familiar flavor and softness of bread that I just loved.
- The smell, taste, and very idea of Ranch dressing makes me gag. I literally have no idea how people can eat that stuff.
What do food quirks have to do with this post? Well, I’ve got a method for eating Oreos that some may call quirky. I call it brilliant, but that’s just me. I don’t just pick one up and take a bite. That would be doing it wrong. After years of practice, testing and thoughtful consideration that only a kid can dedicate to a chocolate cookie, I’ve reached the conclusion that there is but one correct way to eat an Oreo, and you guys are in luck because I’m willing to share with all of you:
Gently (ever so gently) pry the two cookie halves apart, being careful not to crack them in pieces. Take the ‘clean’ cookie side and eat it in two bites. Then, take the side of the cookie that still has the icing on it, and lick the icing, savoring the taste of it for as long as you can. Keep licking until there is a thin, but still sturdy layer of the icing left on the cookie half. Then, pop the whole thing in your mouth, letting the blend of the icing and cookie flavors meld in a final medley of deliciousness. And that my friends, is how eating an Oreo the right way is done.
Or you could just eat it however the heck you want. Your choice.
But my way IS better. Just sayin.
I recently had a weekend at my house where I made a bunch of brownies. Lots of them. Everyone wanted different kinds of brownies and rather than compromise, I just decided to make everyone the kind that they wanted. My twin, Jas asked me for Oreo brownies so I made a pan just for her. I gotta say, I love how they turned out. You would think that since both Oreos and brownies are primarily chocolate that the Oreos would be left tasting boring and one-note, but they’re really not. You can still undeniably pick their flavor out of the brownie, and it really just adds to the complexity of the chocolate-y goodness going on in the brownies, while the vanilla chips give it that complimentary sweetness without being too overpowering. Cookie and Cream lovers are gonna love these brownies, guaranteed.
So you guys…I wasn’t kidding. Tell me your food quirks so I don’t feel like a lame for spilling all my guts to you about mine. Don’t be shy. No shame in our game, right?
P.S., I’m looking to get involved in some additional recipe link up parties. Right now I’m only posting in Fiesta Friday (which is totally awesome in and of itself, I hope you all are participating….you’re crazy if you don’t), but I would like to branch out even further. So if any of you guys are currently participating in other recipe link ups on other days of the week, just let me know in the comment section so I can try to join in. Thanks guys 🙂
Oreo Fudge Brownies
Recipe Adapted from Food Network Magazine
CLICK HERE FOR PRINTABLE VERSION
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter)
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup white granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups crushed Oreo cookies
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Line an 8-inch square pan with aluminum foil, leaving a 2 inch overhang. Coat the foil with cooking spray.
2. In a small bowl, combine the 1 cup of flour with the salt and set aside.
3. Melt semisweet chocolate chips and butter in a saucepan over low heat, stirring. Off the heat, whisk in light brown sugar and granulated sugar; cool slightly.
4. Whisk in the 4 eggs, one at a time, and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Stir in 1 cup flour and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
5. Fold in the crushed Oreo cookies and white chocolate chips. Spread in the pan. Bake for 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted 3 inches from center comes out clean, checking frequently towards the end of baking.
39 thoughts on “Oreo Fudge Brownies”
No way! I always eat the crust of my pizza first too. Such a relief to know I’m not alone. Haha. These brownies look terrific, by the way 🙂
Thanks Anna- Crust First Eaters Unite! lol
Wow! These brownies look amazing! My kids would go crazy over these. Your post was so much fun. I love all your food quirks. I am a sauce girl, too. Favorites are buffalo and bar-b-q and anything chipotle.
Thank you Shari 🙂
I am just joining Fiesta Friday so I can meet more foodie bloggers. I would be interested if you find other groups too. I share your quirk that I want the same amount of each food group and finish them all at the same time. My last bite is my favorite item because I want that flavor to last. My hubby eats one thing completely at a time. I think that is wrong!
Hi Julie, welcome to Fiesta Friday! We’re all so happy to have you 🙂
I LOVE the last bite. I literally pause for a minute or two before having it, every time. Thanks for commenting and stopping by!
These look so good! Who would not like brownies and oreo cookies together …heaven! I want these right now. 🙂 Have you ever tried fried oreos? Every year at our county fair I get some. Fried and sprinkled with powdered sugar. I love all your quirks. When I was growing up my Mom made eggs just like that, in the grease of the sausage or bacon …gravy also. Yummy.
Hi Arlene! I’ve actually never had fried oreos before-to be honest, I’m kinda scared to. I know that once I do, it’s just gonna be ‘over’ for me. I’ll starting craving it all the time lol Thanks 😀
Wow brownies looks amazing
Thank you, I appreciate it!
That looks so amazing. A major splurge. But completely worth it. Oreo cookies are so addictive. And brownies are just as addictive. Together? I think I’m going to take a plate for myself. As for food quirks, I have some too. I try not to touch my food. So sometimes I can be caught eating hot Cheetos with a pair of chopsticks, burgers with a fork and knife (if that’s not available, then wrapped in a napkin), and I love fried chicken wings but not the skin. So I try to remove most of the skin. lol.
Thanks Andrea! I also like to wrap my burgers, wraps and sandwiches in aluminum foil so that I don’t get any of the toppings or sauce on my fingers. Heh, I thought I was alone in doing that, go figure lol
Nope! I do it all the time =)
OMG! Are you kidding me? At first view I thought this was some kind of hallucination or something, but wow Jess, this is just beyond the beyond! You rock! 😀
Awww thanks Julianna, that means a lot 🙂
Jess, my mouth is watering just looking at these picture 🙂 Looks so decadent!
Why thank you- decadent they certainly are, but sooo worth it 😉
My 6 year old son says this looks super yummy!! <3
Tell you son I said thank you and that I think he’ll really like them!
This is fantastic and oh so yummy looking. I have used Oreos for a pie crust but never like this. As a lover of brownies in any form I would just adore your version Jess. Well done.
Thanks Teresa- if you like the oreo pies, then you’re DEFINITELY going to like these.
Looks awesome, Jess! And I guess it fits one of my quirks perfectly: I always have to have something crunchy with my meals 🙂 Other quirks? Well, I don’t eat raw bananas, I don’t eat anything that even barely touched onions and, if available, I prefer to eat burgers with fork and knife. Oh and I not only have sweet and savoury cravings but crunchy and spicy cravings as well 😉
My crunchy and spicy cravings know no bounds, so I can absolutely relate with you Erika. Thanks for stopping by and complimenting the brownies 😀
These look so tasty and decadent!! I want this right now!
Thank you- they’re pretty easy to put together, and I’m pretty sure you’ll like them!
Whoa! These look amazing!!!
Thank you Sarah!
Ah-mah-zing, ah-mah-zing!! They look so good! Your photos are superb. About link parties, if you google, you’ll find hundreds of them. But none like Fiesta Friday, I must say, haha…. 🙂 Ready for FF26?
Thanks Angie, I have to agree I don’t think any link party would be like or as good as FF 😉
Jess – I love the way you eat your Oreos – especially the last bit! Your brownies look incredible – thank god that Oreos are not a staple item here otherwise I would be in big trouble! Food quirks – I don’t really have any. Not too keen on mayo or bottled salad dressings but the one thing I avoid like the plague is raw onions – I can taste them in my mouth for what seems like days…I have tried a few linky parties but to be honest, there is none of the visiting, camaraderie, commenting and following that Fiesta Friday has. I have some badges in my sidebar – take a look and see but I am going to ditch all of them…thanks for hosting this week 🙂
Thanks Selma- that’s funny, I’ve seen a lot of people that don’t like raw onions. Myself, I actually like them on my burgers lol
I’m having a BLAST hosting FF btw 😉
These look amazing!
Check out what game is being played in my arena, it is sure to make you wanna play! Ok, so it might be more of a “kickball meats no hand eye coordination”-but at least there is always wine!
Thanks AshleyKate, I appreciate you sharing that with me 🙂